Sunday, January 8, 2012

German Reds

On this trip to the wine store I went directly to the Germany section. There I found myself stuck between two wines Red Vin Sweet Red ($8.99) and Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler Dornfelder Red 2010 ($11.99). I hemmed and hawed, walked the aisles, did everything except ask someone who worked there. I did stand there while one of the employees helped a couple, but walked off before he could look my direction.

I read the descriptions:
Red Vin Sweet-Rheinhessen Germany-Made from the native Dornfelder grape, this sweet red combines silky tannins with flavors of raspberry and plum with a pleasant sweet finish. Pair with cheese, spicy Asain cuisine, or just by itself.
Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler Dornfelder Red- Pfalz Germany- A delightfully fruity red wine with a hint of sweetness. The intense fruit flavors of blackberry and cherry have a surprisingly full bodied finish.


How did I decide?
  1. I didn't want something too sweet
  2. I remembered a chat a had with an old friend. He sent me an article about cheap wines and said, "I'm of the mindset that you find a small store that has a small collection of $10-$20 bottles and go crazy there.
I decided on the Dr. H-B.  I liked it.  The description was pretty accurate, slightly sweet not syrupy.  My drinking buddy, not so much of a fan.  He took one sip and made a yucky face and dumped his glass down the drain.  Will I finish the bottle?  Yup, it's not that bad!  Will I recommend it?  Yeah, to someone who is looking for a not so sweet, inexpensive bottle of red.  Will I buy it again?  Probably not.  It's a screw top and maybe that should have made me think twice, but I didn't want to be prejudice against screw tops. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment