Saturday, June 16, 2012

Judging a Wine by its Name

  Have you ever decided on a wine because of it's name?  I admit, I have.  Awhile back I fell head over heels in love with Cupcake Vineyards pinot noir.  That infatuation lead me to Cupcake Vineyards Red Velvet.  I was wandering around my wine shop and for the first time in a long time their Cupcake Vineyards display was pretty full (typically this display in particular empties just as soon as it is filled).  When I saw the bottle sitting there I couldn't help myself.  Red velvet, all I could think about was a sweet, luscious make-my-teeth-ache yumminess.
  I could not have been more wrong.  This is not a sweet wine.  But don't get me wrong, it is a delicious wine.  According to their site Cupcake Vineyards Red Velvet "is a blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah".  I noticed a slight hint of chocolate with red and blackberries.  The combination works out perfectly. The velvet in the name must come from the absolutely smooth, velvety finish.

  Check it out, and let me know how you enjoyed you red velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment